Requisition ID: 25165
Job Function/Category: Engineering
Employment Type: Exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy
Location: This position will be located at our Headquarters in South Plainfield, NJ
This is a "Project" position designed to support project work for a limited duration. While the exact duration of the project is yet to be determined, we currently anticipate a period of 3-5 years based on business needs at the present time following which you will separate from the Company. It is important for you to understand that this period may be shortened based on business needs in the future at which point you will separate from the Company. It is also important for you to understand that this employment is of a limited duration and that you will not be entitled to separation benefits under any PSEG plan at the time you separate from the Company. Director Level approval and waiver will be required for you to bid on other PSEG opportunities within the first 3 years of assignment. From year 4 through the end of your assignment, Director level approval and waiver will not be required. If your assignment ends prior to the anticipated timeframe based on business needs, you will be allowed to bid on other PSEG opportunities without Director level approval from the time you are notified your assignment will be ending through the end date of the assignment.
Perform electrical engineering and/or support Project Integration work and provide technical assistance through the application of engineering/business knowledge.
Lead and manage electrical layout & controls engineering and design portion of major substation capital projects (69 kV – 500 kV) from inception to successful completion in terms of safety, reliability, functional performance requirements, timely completion, within scope and budget.
Responsibilities include the following: interface with other technical and project disciplines to develop detailed scoping documents and prepare estimates; develop optimal station layout and one-line control drawings during initial phase of projects; assist in the development of project schedule, risk matrix, construction sequence documents; act as primary Company interface with multiple Architect-Engineering firms for substation projects that are outsourced, assuring that PSE&G standards are maintained; coordinate as required with system planners, system protection engineers, designer, asset experts, project managers, vendors, construction & operating personnel, consultants and contractors during all phases of the project; provide technical support during construction and commissioning phases of projects; resolve complex technical problems and provide solutions, respond to electric transmission and distribution system emergencies.
Perform electrical engineering calculations for substation ground grid design, station battery sizing, lightning protection, voltage drop, insulation co-ordination, short circuit currents, Station Light and Power supply, etc. utilizing appropriate IEEE and NESC standards.
Review and approve Architect/Engineer vendor packages to ensure all engineering standards, construction standards and safety codes are met and optimal station layout is developed. Review and approve initial project scope document, schedule, one line drawings, layouts, construction sequence document, touch points, risk matrix control and layout design drawing packages.
Maintain and apply working knowledge of PSEG Standards for Business Controls and meet management's expectations for effective internal business controls.
• Candidate must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity
• Successful candidate must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices.
• As an employee of PSE&G, you should be aware that during storm/outage restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions different from normal operations and your regular work schedule. You may also be required to work in an alternate location.
• PSEG is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status
• B.S in Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree or technical experience
• Minimum of six (6) years of electrical utility substation engineering experience and knowledge of electrical substation and switching station planning, design, construction and station equipment.
• Prior experience as lead project engineer on a large-scale substation projects.
• Candidate must possess a working knowledge of utility best practices, IEEE, ASME, NESC and NEMA Standards.
• Applicant must have effective problem-solving and decision-making skills, strong planning and organizing skills, must be adaptable and be results-oriented.
• Clear and concise writing and verbal communications skills are essential.
• On call 24/7 hours to handle emergency replacement work and assist during system emergency situations.
• Must foster an inclusive work environment and respects all aspects of diversity
• Must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices
• Must have a valid drivers license
- Professional Engineering License
- Advanced knowledge and experience with utility regulations, standards codes and engineering principals
- Experience with MicroStation Version 8
- Proficient with MS Office Suite.
- Display aptitude in 2D and 3D CAD modeling software for large infrastructure projects.
- Familiar with drawing references and proficient to set up drawings with external references, including raster images, drawings in dxf, dgn, and dwg formats.
- Proficient to prepare Bill of Material
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site (http://www.pseg.com) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call 973-430-3845. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved hiring decision